Not published in LIFE. Gay rights event, 1971.
In late 1971, two years after the Stonewall riots in New York sparked the modern gay rights movement in America, and twelve months before LIFE ceased publishing as a weekly, the magazine featured an article on “gay liberation” that, seen a full 40 years later, feels sensational, measured and somehow endearingly, deeply square all at the same time.
Read more here.
Hug a Homosexual. Life Magazine.
About Michael J. Faris
Assistant Professor of English with research areas in digital literacy, privacy and social media, and queering rhetorics.
This blog serves as a place to think through things, record thoughts, share interesting stuff, and hold conversations. Welcome!
Visit my electronic portfolio
- 147/366/2016 presenting on citation networks (photo by…
- 146/366/2016 #tattoos #embodiment #materiality #ska #rudeboy…
- 145/366/2016 (May 24) Becky Rickly presenting on feminist and…
- “Sex, Consent, and Digital Disidentifications in Queer Media and…
- 144/366/2016 (May 23) day 1 of #nar16 in the books (at Texas…
Last.fm Recent Listens